What Is an Otolaryngologist?
Downriver ENT strives to be your choice when you’re looking for a throat doctor in Southfield or Allen Park, MI. Dr. Lascelles Pinnock is a well-respected and educated otolaryngologist who’s capable of performing a wide range of high-quality services that will improve your quality of life. Otolaryngologists perform many important tasks, though unfortunately, most people couldn’t tell you what one actually does. As your trusted Allen Park and Southfield ENT, we’d like to take the opportunity to explain to you what areas they specialize in.
What Are Otolaryngologists?
Otolaryngologists are more commonly referred to as ENTs (Ear, Nose, and Throat doctors). Otolaryngologists are required to complete at least 15 years of college and postgraduate training before they’re ready to start practicing. They are physicians trained in the medical and surgical treatment of patients with a variety of conditions and diseases related to the ear, nose, throat, and also the head and neck.
Otolaryngologists are proficient in treating hearing loss, a common problem that actually affects one in ten people. In addition to hearing loss, otolaryngologists can also treat tinnitus (ringing of the ears), ear infections, and cranial nerve disorders.
Chronic sinusitis is a common illness that affects approximately 35 million people each year. Otolaryngologists are capable of treating sinusitis along with other problems in the sinuses and nasal cavities. This can include a deviated septum, allergy problems, or smell disorders.
Otolaryngologists will manage diseases in the voice box and the esophagus. This can deal with eating, swallowing, or basic communication.
Head and Neck
In the head and neck area (and also the face), otolaryngologists will treat infections, tumors, and deformities. They’re also capable of performing cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
The Seven Areas of Expertise
There are seven areas of expertise that otolaryngologists may specialize in. Otolaryngologists may choose to practice several of these or they may limit themselves to one specific area. These areas are:
- Head and Neck – This is the medical and surgical treatment of cancerous and noncancerous tumors in the head and neck.
- Laryngology – This treats disorders of the throat, including swallowing, voice, and acid reflux problems.
- Allergy – This is the medical treatment of allergies that affect the ear, nose, and throat.
- Otology/Neurotology – This is the medical and surgical treatment of diseases of the ear.
- Rhinology – This treats disorders dealing with the nose and sinuses.
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – This treats cosmetic, functional, and reconstructive abnormalities of the face and neck.
- Pediatric Otolaryngology – This uses medical or surgical treatment to heal diseases related to the ear, nose, or throat in children.
Contact Your Southfield and Allen Park ENT Today!
If you’re interested in scheduling an appointment with us, we encourage you to give us a call at (313) 381-8787 for our Allen Park office or (248) 304-7772 for our Southfield office. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We hope to hear from you!