A Guide to Winter Allergies
soon be back. Unfortunately, for many people, it can also be the return of winter allergies. As your trusted ENT doctor for all those in and around Dearborn, Southfield, and Allen Park, we at Downriver ENT have comprised an allergy guide to help you through the upcoming winter allergy season.
If you happen to have winter allergies, a few of the symptoms that you’ll likely have are:
- Runny nose
- Itchy or watery eyes
- Dark circles under the eyes
It’s important to note that just because you have some of these symptoms, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have allergies. You may have a cold or the flu instead. The main differences between allergies and colds are that colds usually only last for about ten or so days and colds usually come with fevers and aches that aren’t associated with allergies.
Winter allergies occur for a variety of reasons. Some of these can include:
- Dust mites
- Cold and damp weather
- Improper ventilation
- Animals and pet dander
To best manage your allergies, we recommend taking the following actions:
- Use a dehumidifier and keep your humidity levels low.
- Use a HEPA air purifier.
- Toss out any items, such as carpeting, that have mold on them.
- Wash your bedding in hot water every week.
- Dispose of any pet dander.
If your symptoms have been lasting for over ten days, we recommend coming in to see your doctor. As your Southfield throat doctor, we can perform a skin test to determine if you’re suffering from allergies. If you happen to have allergies, we can offer the following treatments:
- Decongestants – These are used to reduce congestion and mucus.
- Antihistamines – These will lessen your sneezing, sniffling, and itching.
- Immunotherapy – This treatment will gradually expose your body to your allergies over time, allowing your body to cope with the allergens.
Get Relief From Your Southfield Throat Doctor Today!
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. If you’d like to come in for an appointment, we encourage you to give us a call at (313) 381-8787 for our Allen Park office or (248) 304-7772 for our Southfield office. Please have any questions. We can’t wait to hear from you!